A wonderful CSA Member, Gwendolyn, recently shared this recipe with us with the preface, “This is what we do with any extra greens the day before our next pickup.” We hope you enjoy her creativity and the delicious recipe. It’s the perfect way to use all those healthy spring greens coming from the farm right now.
Soper’s Saag without the Paneer
1 lb single greens (or blend): spinach, kale, swiss chard
1 onion, diced
1 TBL ghee
1 TBL turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp coriander, ground
1/2 tsp salt (add more to taste later)
1/4 C ghee
1/2 C water
2/3 C coconut milk, full-fat, or dairy cream
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, sauté onion in 1 TBL ghee for 1 minute until softened.
- Add all spices and stir into onions until spices become fragrant.
- Add 1 lb greens and 1/2 C water. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes, uncovering and stirring occasionally, adding more water as needed to keep steaming.
- When all greens are extremely soft, add coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender, tilt the pan so greens get deeper on one side, and blend well.
Do you have a recipe using farm produce that you’d like to share? Tell us about it here.